Sunday 10 June 2012

Blessings of an autism assistance dog.

I read this on an autism service dog page and I thought it provides more insights into the value of dogs as assistance dogs for people with ASD:

Has anyone here thought of an Autism service dog before? They are called Ssgi dogs. I have one myself. She helps me by starting conversations, alerting others that I have a disability, helps me remember to take my medications, does a standstill if I freak out from something that would cause me to run out into the street...I can't, she's tethered to me and she also gives me deep pressure input by laying on my legs and that helps when I'm trying to sleep too. And licks me and gives me 'soft' scratches with her nails for input when I am overstimulated. She also is there so I can help balance sometimes when my vestibular is off because of being on the Autism Spectrum. Labs are great for this job.

Anyone heard of this before for your child or yourself maybe? Thought I'd bring it up since it helps me soooooo much.

No comments:

Post a Comment