Monday 30 July 2012

Matthew 18:21- How many times should I forgive my brother ?

Why is it that Indie is capable of giving Brandon umpteen opportunities; however, a special school catering specifically for the needs of special needs children can't? I phoned the school at the start of this term querying why we hadn't got confirmation for Brandon's position in the school's after school active care program. I was told that it was an oversight and that there was a place on Thursday night for ball skills. Well, Brandon loves bouncing balls and he has very good ball skills actually. I remember when he attended a holiday program and attended the basketball stadium. The basketballers were amazed to see how well Brandon could dribble a ball. Unfortunately, his severe I/d prevented him from understanding the rules and limited his abilities to play in a team but you need to give credit I think where credit is due and he can bounce that ball even using his peripheral vision. Anyway, because two years ago Brandon was expelled from the Active After School program for his aggression and bad behaviour, they are preventing him from accessing this program once again because supposedly he requires one on one supervision and the program does not provide that. So, my application was conveniently overlooked I discovered. This really saddens me because although I do acknowledge that Brandon's behaviour is often abhorrent, he must now live with that label it appears for his entire school life. And where else could Brandon potentially develop his ball handling skills?? His own school aren't prepared to give him a chance?? Imagine if Brandon actually knew and understood what was going on! I am sometimes glad he doesn't because it is less hurtful that way. Well, I feel better for my son knowing that Indie chose him!

No comments:

Post a Comment