Saturday 14 April 2012

Temple Grandin - The Language of Animals and how this relates to Brandon and Indie's journey with autism




This is a must watch for dog lovers. It really fascinates me the similarities that exist between understanding Indie and Brandon. Temple Grandin always mentions: 'She thinks in pictures' and her understanding of the world around her is primarily sensory based but she has the 'words and intellect' to interpret her visual/sensory understandings. A privilege that my son, Brandon does not have however most certainly helps me to understand his world and Indie's better and may help to explain the close connection between the two.

1 comment:

  1. I was inspired to write the following blog after my dog training session at North Melbourne Train station yesterday with Katie. I had successfully boarded the train with Indie at North Melbourne Station however was taken back when boarding the train again at Flinders St station, Indie baulked and refused to get on the train. Katie explained how dogs cannot generalise train stations and at this station there was a bigger step and gap between the platform and train which is why Indie has to be taken on a lot of different trains in order to help her generalise. Driving home, I then realised, this is the same with Brandon however due to his intellectual disability this will then be more challenging however having his best friend Indie besides him I think most certainly helps because she is always consistent with him.

    ReplyDelete