Saturday 3 May 2014

Animals, tapping, tibetan singing bowls and autism.

The close connection between animals and Brandon has always fascinated me especially since he does not look at them or even seems to acknowledge them. It reminds me of the first book in, 'Harry Potter' when Harry was at the zoo and the boa constrictor connected with him. The first connection between Brandon and animals occurred at the Ballarat Wildlife Zoo. We are very fortunate at animal sanctuaries when Brandon is with us. On the one hand, we feel like dying of embarrassment because of the stares and underhanded comments made by the humans but on the positive side animals are just drawn to Brandon and we are always assured close viewing of these fascinating animals. One day two emus approached Brandon and all three went for a walk together. Brandon was in-between the two emus, mimicking (unintentionally) the walking stance of the emus and all three with heads straight ahead walked for some time and then parted ways. It was a treasure to behold!

We then went into the reptile enclosure and other visitors were complaining because they couldn't see the reptiles. Well that was definitely not our experience; all we needed to do was to wait for Brandon to stand with his back against the glass and the reptiles all scurried up to him. We had the best view that's for sure. Brandon does not look at these animals; touch them; smile at them; talk to them (well he is incapable of speech) or even look at them nor is he gentle necessarily; however, he is like an animal whisperer and they are instinctively drawn to him. Why? One of the many mysteries of autism I think.

EFT- emotional freedom techniques aka tapping. Brandon has an aversion to touch. Even when I hug and kiss him, it can sometimes be received with him attacking me. But he now grabs my hands and indicates that he wants me to tap on him.  Now once again, sceptics will argue that tapping on median points alongside positive affirmations is rubbish and perhaps it is, but all I know it has created a bond between my son and myself which we never had before so for that reason I am happy to use it. Brandon smiles and loves the sayings I recite whilst tapping on him so that is success in my book.  Unconventional, indeed but there is no harm in it and since autism is non conventional why not follow unconventional means?

Tibetan singing bowls- When Brandon is pacing frantically and participating in very loud and annoying vocalisations through trial and error and research, I have found by playing Tibetan singing bowl music immediately calms him. 

And who stands by Brandon in all his anxiety, loudness and frantic pacing and screaming- Indie!

No comments:

Post a Comment