Saturday 19 May 2012

Being politically correct!

My dad is the only person I know who can get away with calling Brandon retarded or he is happy that Brandon is not spastic. You have to know my dad to understand why he can be forgiven for using not politically correct statements. He loves Brandon to bits and Brandon loves him also. To be labelled a bigot, there has to be deliberate mean intent and in my dad's case, the issue lays with English being my dad's second language.
They have always had a special bond; Brandon even walks like my dad with his hands behind his back. Every conversation with my Dad always begins with a really concerned expression on his face, 'Is Brandon better yet?'. If only autism and intellectual disability could be fixed with a pill. But my dad never gets it- well he has done really well considering he barely achieved a grade 3 education because bombs had bombed his school in Taranta, Italy during WW2. Get togethers, always resulted in my dad 'tut tutting' because of Brandon's bizarre antics- throwing cakes at guests, pinching a hunk of a special birthday cake etc. but now to Brandon's rescue  is Indie. Dad is now tut tutting and wondering when she will learn to behave herself- given the last get together Indie threw up and jumped up and pinched a sponge cake from the table. Definitely not great Dog etiquette and not what I encourage in her; however, for once the heat is off Brandon and he looked quite well behaved for once in comparison to Indie. Of course, this will not last because Indie has the mental capacity to learn and remember what she has learnt however Brandon has such a severe intellectual disability and so many sensory issues that it is so difficult for him to retain what he is taught.
My dad, Nick Madonna and my daughter at her 21st.
So I'm alright with Dad thinking Indie is out of control; I don't feel the need to show off and display her obedience training. I am okay knowing that every day Indie is learning and retaining new things and one day her 'puppiness' will dissipate and she will calm down at home. I only wish the future looked brighter for Brandon!

No comments:

Post a Comment